I’d probably have to say, my favorite thing in life to splurge on is a designer bag. Two years ago, I started a tradition where I buy myself a new bag for my birthday. And since it’s a tradition, I’ll just have to keep doing it now, right? 😉 This bag was my most recent bday purchase, and I’ve been wanting to do a review for a while, because a lot of people ask about it. Is it worth the price? Is it big enough? Is it versatile? I’m going to cover ALL of that and more in this post!
Gucci Disco Bag Review
- Size ~ So when I went to Gucci to check out this bag in person, I was REALLY surprised that it’s actually a LOT bigger in person. It’s by no means a big bag, but it’s definitely more substantial than I was expecting. When you’re splurging on a bag, you want it to at least be big enough to fit all your stuff, right? The actual size is 8″W x 6″H x 2.7″D. The strap is adjustable (which is always a big selling point for me) with a 21.6″ drop. My regular size wallet DOES fit in this bag, however, I opted to get a smaller one, because it was a little bit of a squeeze to get it in each time. This bag will easily fit a small wallet, phone, keys, lipsticks, and sunglasses. I included some full-body images below so you can see the scale. (I’m 5’1 for reference.)
- Detailing ~ One of my favorite parts about this bag is the large leather tassel. I’m not sure I’d have purchased the bag without it. The hardware is a really light gold tone, which won’t clash against silver jewelry. The bag is a natural grain leather, making it less likely to show scuffs or scratches. The interior of the bag is a light beige cotton linen, with one small pocket on each side. I personally don’t use the pockets, since they are pretty tiny. If you aren’t carrying a wallet, they would be good to hold your ID or debit/credit cards. The top of the bag has a zip closure. And of course, the embossed, interlocking G’s on the outside, that make the bag so iconic and easy to recognize.
- Versatility ~ One of the reasons I decided to purchase the Gucci Disco, is because I knew how much I would use it. First off, I love a crossbody. They are hands-down the most functional type of bag. Perfect for shopping, running errands, anything really. And SO perfect for moms (especially once you’re past the carrying-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink diaper bag phase). I love that this bag can go dressy or casual. I wear mine with heels, but it also looks great with jeans and a tee. I bought this bag to wear in fall and winter, but I was surprised that I even reached for a it a few times this summer, too! Basically, if I’m wearing black, this is the bag I reach for. Every. Single. Time. It will never go out of style, and I’ll own it for the rest of my life, most likely.
- Color ~ Probably the hardest part about buying a Gucci Disco, is deciding on a color. I went back and forth for weeks between the black and the beige, because the beige is equally as gorgeous. I decided on the black, simply because I have so many tan/beige bags already. Obviously, if money wasn’t an object, I’d get both. 😉 The Disco also comes in red, emerald green, and two-tone black & white. I’m loving the black, and have no regrets about my color choice. I’m really looking forward to wearing it with white, grey, and all the cool tones this fall/winter.
- Price ~ Obviously, this is not a cheap bag. One thing I must say, is that designer bags are really starting to hold their value. Which means, if you ever decide to sell the bag down the road, you are going to get a good chunk of your money back. I think the price of this bag has gone up at least $100 from a few years ago when I first spotted it. Think of it as an investment. 😉 The Gucci Disco is a really high quality bag. If you are looking for a similar camera style, but for less, this Tory Burch one is half the price. And this Rebecca Minkoff version is even less yet.
- Storage ~ If you’re going to splurge on a bag, it makes sense to try to keep it looking as pretty as possible, right? When I’m not using mine, I store it in the original box (shown below). Mine also came with a dust bag, which is also a good storage option. I prefer the box, to help keep the bag from getting squashed in my closet. Also, be sure to stuff your bag with tissue paper. This helps to maintain the shape of the bag, and prevents indentations in the leather. Make sure the tassel is laying flat to prevent the little pieces from getting creased during storage.
I hope this review was helpful! Please feel free to message me on Instagram or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions about this bag! She’s definitely one of my faves!
Thanks for reading!