This post has been a long time coming. I’ve wanted to review this product ever since I started my blog. Let me start by saying this is my FAVORITE skincare product of ALL time. I’ve used it for over 10 years (and Skinceuticals was kind enough to send me a brand new bottle a few months ago). I’m 35 (will be 36 in less than 2 months, eeek), so I guess I started using this product around 25. I truly feel this product has kept me from aging. I like to call it my “secret weapon”.
Skinceuticals C E Ferulic Review
- Antioxidant power ~ This product is very similar to wearing sunscreen (without actually wearing sunscreen). I’ve always had a hard time wearing sunscreen on my face. My skin is so sensitive, and I usually end up irritated or bumpy (or with breakouts). While this isn’t meant to replace sunscreen, it works the same way by providing protection from damaging free radicals from UVA & UVB rays. Using an antioxidant is huge when it comes to preventing aging.
- Anti-aging ~ While this product prevents signs of aging, it actually helps with ones you already have, too. It improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and also helps diminish photodamage (aka sunspots). It also helps with loss of firmness.
- That GLOW though ~ If you want to brighten your complexion, look no further. The vitamin C in this product really brightens and gives you a GLOW. This is one of my favorite things about this product. As we age, our skin tends to look more dull. This serum makes your skin look more plump and hydrated, giving off a perfect glow.
- Scent ~ Okay, don’t laugh. But this product has a slightly strange smell. It almost smells like bacon. I’ve also heard it described as a “smoky” scent. So weird, but don’t let that keep you from using it. It actually fades really quickly after application, and I don’t even notice it anymore. Plus, most products that really WORK are going to have some sort of smell. Unfortunately.
- Ingredients ~ As the name states, the most effective ingredients in this serum are Vitamin C (15%), Vitamin E (1%), and Ferulic Acid (0.5%). The Vitamin C is a very pure form (L-ascorbic acid), making it very potent for maximum anti-aging benefits. Vitamin E (in its pure form, alpha tocopherol) helps restore skin lipids and works synergistically with Vitamin C. Ferulic Acid helps to stabilize the Vitamin C & E, and is also an anti-inflammatory.
- Application ~ After washing your face, this is the first product you’ll put on. Apply 2-4 drops to your fingertips, then gently swipe and press into your skin. This serum is very thin, so you have to work quickly to keep it from running off your fingers. Next, apply your favorite moisturizer. In the past, I’ve also used the Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 gel over my C E Ferulic. It’s a great option instead of a moisturizer in the hotter months, and has a plumping/smoothing effect that I love.
- Price ~ I am well aware that this isn’t the most affordable product on earth. But if you want something that works, it’s usually going to cost you. A 1-ounce bottle is $165. But here’s the good news…it lasts a LONG time. I store mine in a cabinet under my bathroom sink. This prevents sunlight exposure, which will help the product maintain efficacy (which is also why it’s in a dark glass bottle). I also only apply my serum once a day (in the morning). The Vitamin C actually remains effective for at least 72 hours once it’s absorbed, so there’s really no need to apply it twice a day. I opened this new bottle the end of April and it’s still over 1/3 full. I anticipating it lasting me a few more months. So you can know that it will last you at least 6 months to a year (which I think is totally worth the price).
If I haven’t already talked you into trying Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, check out all of the amazing reviews it got here. People are OBSESSED with this product. It’s one of those products that you start using and never stop. It’s won countless awards, and is loved by beauty editors and dermatologists alike for being a “fountain of youth”.
If you want bright, even, glowing skin, be sure to give this serum a try!
Photos by CAG Photography